The Amarillo Museum of Art was formulated in 1967 by a local group of determined and dedicated community
leaders for the purpose of creating and maintaining an art museum for citizens of Amarillo and the surrounding area.
By 1970 the Board of Trustees joined with Amarillo College, a two year community college chartered in 1926, to raise
funds for the construction of a Fine Arts Complex. The Museum, the Concert Hall/Theater and Music building opened to
the public in October 1972. The Amarillo Museum of Art's facilities were dedicated to Betty Bivins Childers whose perseverance
and dynamic leadership led to the realization of the community's goal of establishing a visual arts resource for the area.
Return to Profiles
Amarillo Museum of Art
2200 S. Van Buren Street // Amarillo, Texas // 79109